Welcome!

I reunite identified family photos that I find in antique shops and second hand stores with genealogists and family historians. If you see one of your ancestors here and would like to obtain the original, feel free to contact me at familyphotoreunion [ at ] yahoo [ dot ] com. I also accept donations of pre-1927 images to be reunited. I hope you enjoy your visit!
~The Archivist


Monday, October 8, 2012

Max Heckman, Broadway, New York, NY, 1897



We know this portrait was photographed at the Dana Studio on the S.W. Corner of Broadway and 28th Street in the Big Apple because of the photographers stamp on the back of the image.  Dana apparently photographed many actors in his day and I wonder if this distinguished gentleman might be in some way linked to the theatre business.

There is an inscription on the back.  I believe it reads, "Max Heber Heckman," but I'm not totally convinced of that.  There are quite a number of Max Heckmans in New York.   But, with New York being New York, there is absolutely no certainty that Mr. Heckman was even from New York.  This image is dated 1897.

Here is the inscription.  Do you read it differently? 


1 comment:

  1. Very ornate - but I read the name the same as you except that I think the middle name is Weber.

    I strongly suspect this is the guy:

    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=90283629

    In Ancestry.Com - he bounces from NY to PA and back again and is married to Harriet (Find A Grave Memorial# 90283648) and has a son, Jr. (Find A Grave Memorial# 90283698) who died at a young age.

    ReplyDelete